Decoupage is a craft technique of affixing paper designs to a hard surface with adhesive. By looking at a finished job, you would certainly assume this craft method would certainly be made complex, but it isn’t. Decoupage started in France in the 17th century as the poor man’s alternative to painted furnishings. It is in fact quite easy. If you can reduce and also paste, you already know most of the strategies included.
To start with decoupage, you removed photos and also adhesive them onto an item. The next step is to cover the things and images with a few coats of glue or decoupage tool to protect it. You most likely have every little thing you require to make your job lying around your residence now. Gather your products and start crafting.
Decoupage medium is an all-in-one sealant, adhesive, and also finish made use of for producing decoupaged artworks. Use it on wood, textile and also various other permeable surface areas. It dries out clear as well as holds your glued-on paper cuts tight.
Materials You Need
As with any type of craft project you make, you must always review the guidelines first. Make a checklist of materials that you require to purchase, although you may currently have several of the materials currently in your house.
– Determine what object you want to embellish with decoupage. You can add pictures to virtually anything: furniture, photo cds, shelving, structures, boxes, vases, mirrors, hardcover publications, trays, travel suitcases, recipes, candles, containers, containers, egg containers, rocks, and much more.
– Locate a picture source. The alternatives are endless: eliminate pictures, motifs, or shapes from covering paper, wallpaper, fabric, napkins, greeting cards, postcards, pictures, travel pamphlets, handbills, programs, yard seed packages, pages from old publications, foil-covered paper, paper doilies, bow, posters, dried out flowers, cells paper, and also more. You can additionally acquire paper and pictures made particularly for decoupage. You can photocopy clip art, pictures, stories, rhymes, as well as various other things printed from your computer system, with special factors to consider for photos published utilizing an inkjet printer.
– Pick what decoupage tool to use. You can acquire an item made particularly for decoupaging, such as Mod Podge or Collection Pauge. You should contend least one of those in your craft cabinet, yet in a pinch, somewhat thinned down white glue will do.
The things over are the essential products you require, however there are a couple of various other products you might discover helpful to utilize in your decoupage journey:
– Bone folder: You can use this to assist smooth out creases and also eliminate excess adhesive. You can additionally purchase a device made particularly for this, called a brayer.
– Foam brush: Use this to spread the decoupage medium or glue onto the item you will certainly decoupage. If you do not have a foam brush, you can use a normal paintbrush or even a cotton bud.
– Scissors: Make use of to remove the pictures and also other things you will be decoupaging. To help with cutting attractive paper with a great deal of small details, you could wish to utilize scissors with smalls blades or an utility knife.
– Tweezers: Tweezers are in some cases a great assistance when it involves placing small images.
– Damp rag: Maintain one close-by to clean up excess glue and also to help with various other tidy up. Make sure the dustcloth perspires and not soaking damp when utilizing it to eliminate excess decoupage tool from your glued documents. A moist rag also aids to maintain your hands tidy while collaborating with glue.
Getting Started With Your Task
Once you have actually collected all of your materials, you can start on your project by complying with in addition to these very easy directions.
See to it the item you’re decoupaging is clean, eliminating any kind of dust or dust. It should likewise be dry. If you’re going to paint your item first, the paint has to be entirely dry prior to you start decoupaging (no tackiness). This example utilized spray paint with an added-in primer to paint a wooden tray. Make sure the paint you use is appropriate for the things you intend to decoupage.
Remove the pictures you are going to use. It helps to use an X-Acto knife to remove the paper pieces that have a fair bit of detailed information.
Before you add adhesive, arrange the pictures onto the thing you are decoupaging up until you like the way they look. The pictures can be in any placement you like and can also overlap.
Working in a small section at once, eliminate the pictures as well as use a charitable layer of decoupage tool onto the item you are decoupaging. Make sure you completely cover any type of area the picture will certainly touch. If you favor, you can spread out the tool onto the rear of the picture.
Stick the picture on the decoupage tool. Utilize your finger to delicately push down the picture (for a big image, begin with the center as well as work your escape) and also push out any creases and excess tool. You can likewise utilize a bone folder or brayer to do this.
Continue with the last 2 actions until every one of your pictures are glued on.
Let the decoupage medium completely dry. If you are using pictures on thicker paper, such as pictures or greeting cards, they can take longer to dry.
Watch for bubbles as your images dry. If one forms, make use of a pin or energy knife to pop it and afterwards use your fingers to smooth it down.
When the medium is completely dry, coat your product completely with an additional layer of the decoupage medium. Let this dry.
Continue to include coats of the medium until you obtain the desired results. You will certainly want to keep adding layers until the edges of the pictures are all smooth.
Allow your job completely dry completely before it’s ready to utilize, display, or be handed out as a present.
If you utilize inkjet-printed product on your tasks, let the ink completely dry, after that spray it with hairspray. It sets the ink and then you can make use of the print. Make certain both are totally dry prior to using your medium.
– Make copies of pictures and also various other initial papers to use in decoupage so you can conserve the original. You can likewise take a picture of them with your phone and after that publish it.
– Tear your photos instead of reducing them. Torn sides lay a little flatter and mix a bit much better.
– Take an image to remember the placement of your paper items. It’s easy to forget once you eliminate them and start decoupaging.
– When decoupaging on plastic, experiment before you devote. For rougher surface areas, the pictures need to adhere but will certainly take a little bit longer to completely dry. If the surface area is extremely smooth, think about roughing it up with a little sandpaper.